12 Amazing Facts About Chongqing city
Chongqing is an amazing city. Here are some interesting and general facts about this place.
- Chongqing is the biggest city in the world. Now more than 35 million people live in it. All of Canada has just 3 million more people. The total area of the city is 82,403 square kilometers. It’s about the size of the Netherlands and Switzerland put together.
- The name “Chongqing” literally translated as “re-celebration”, the city received in 1189 when the prince of the Sung dynasty Zhao Dun celebrated his ascension to the imperial throne.
- Chongqing is located at the place where the Jialing River flows into the Yangtze River. There are more than 25 bridges in the city, including the largest arched bridge in the world Chaotianmen, whose length is 1,741 meters and a height of 36 meters.
- Chongqing is China’s industrial center. Here are more than 10,000 factories. The largest industries are the automotive industry: in the city are 5 car assembly plants and 400 factories producing components for automobiles. The chemical industry is also well developed in Chongqing. Here are produced titanium white, oil varnish, and 1000 other chemical products. Wood spirit production is leading.
- Chongqing has 17 state and 8 private universities. The main one is Chongqing State University, was founded in 1929. It is China’s leading national university. Southwest University is the oldest university in Chongqing, it was founded in 1906.
- In Chongqing has an amazing subway. It was opened in 2004, and at the moment there are already 182 stations. The most famous metro station is Liziba (李子坝 Lǐzǐ bà) line 2 (green line), it is located directly in a residential building.
- A traditional dish in Chongqing is a hot pot (火锅 Huǒguō). In the middle of the table, there is a large pot with spicy broth, you choose meat, seafood, vegetables, mushrooms whatever you want and cook it all in a pot, then eat it by dipping in the sauce. Usually, people come to Hot Pot restaurants with a big company, drink beer, eat and have fun.
- Chongqing has many skyscrapers, as well as other Chinese big cities. But in 2019 there was built a unique horizontal skyscraper. its length is 300 meters. it “lies” on the roofs of four skyscrapers, like a pipe. This miracle is located in the city center in the Yuzhong area (渝中 Yúzhōng).
- Chongqing has short and relatively mild winters and hot summers with high humidity. The average temperature in winter is 6-8 degrees Celsius (43-48 degrees Fahrenheit) and in summer 27-38 degrees Celsius (80-100 degrees Fahrenheit).
- In almost all of China, people do not consume dairy products. This is due to the fact that it is very difficult to graze cows in small areas. Therefore, all dairy products, such as cheese, butter, cottage cheese, are imported products and are very expensive.
- Chongqing has many tall buildings with open roofs. If you want to see the city from high, just go into any building, there will most likely be an open roof. Entrance is free, there is not even any security.
- In China, there are a lot of smoking people. According to statistics, about half of the adult population of China smoke cigarettes. There you can smoke almost everywhere: in restaurants, bars, in taxis and public places, at home and in the office, even in a bank. Probably only in shopping centers and western fast-food cafes you can not smoke. Chinese cigarettes are not like European or American cigarettes, they smell differently. The cost of cigarettes here starts from 10 yuan (around 2 CAD) and goes up to 100- 200 yuan (around 19-38 CAD). Which cigarettes you smoke shows your status in society.
These are just a few facts about this unique city of Chongqing, you will definitely enjoy it.